For those of you who may never have heard of Karuna (yoga instructor from Light on Kundalini) or Kundalini yoga–we’d thought you should get acquainted with this unique yoga instructor and the transformative form of yoga she teaches.
Karuna herself has had an adventurous life story, as you can tell from reading the below facts…
10 Fun Facts About Karuna, Yoga Instructor from Light on Kundalini
- Karuna* started as a model in Paris, then moved to New York City under Ford Models.
- She trained in Hatha Yoga while in New York City 22 years ago and still practices to this day.
- Karuna attended Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in England, which has graduated distinguished actors like Daniel Day-Lewis and Sir Patrick Stewart. While there, she professionally taught yoga to actors, classmates, and private students. She also helped develop The Life Centre’s Yoga Program in London.
- Throughout her acting career, Karuna starred in numerous plays in London, England, and New York City.
- Karuna studied Kundalini yoga under the prestigious Yogi Bhajan, who was the first Eastern yogi to bring Kundalini to the United States in 1968.
- She was a chosen intern by Kundalini Research Institute under Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa to become a teacher’s trainer.
- Karuna has been featured in 3 films: Human Error, Neon Signs, and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover. She’s also been featured in multiple commercials for Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Clairol and Oil of Olay.
- She hosted the first ever Kundalini Yoga Teachers Training in Boulder, Colorado, in 2008-09, where she presently resides.
- She was featured in a Telly Award and Summit International Award winning commercial for Glenwood Hot Springs in 2009. (You can watch it here).
- She is a licensed helicopter pilot.
As you can see, Karuna has been around the world and done so many incredible things! Her laughter and love for life are quite contagious.
So what about this kundalini yoga thing she’s teaching?
6 Fun Facts About Kundalini Yoga:
- Kundalini Yoga is a combination of breathing techniques, movement, chanting of mantras, and meditation. The goal is to build physical vitality and increase spiritual awareness. (Read more here).
- Kundalini yoga was brought to the United States by Yogi Bhajan in 1968, and it’s considered the most comprehensive yoga tradition that combines all eight yoga branches into one.
- According to Yogi Bhajan’s official website, “ ‘Kundalini’ literally means ‘the curl of the lock of hair of the beloved.’ This poetic metaphor alludes to the flow of energy and consciousness that exists within each of us, and enables us to merge with…the universal Self.”
- The goal of practicing kundalini yoga is to release coiled energy from the bottom of the spine to the brain through the 7 chakras—or centers of energy that flow along the spine.
- Kundalini also emphasizes the fact that we are not just a physical body, but that we are made up of 10 bodies (the physical body, three mental bodies, and six energy bodies). Kundalini yoga helps to bring about the awakening of the eleventh embodiment—when all your bodies are aligned with consciousness and you can recognize God in all.
- Multiple health improvements have resulted through kundalini yoga—both physical and psychological. Scientific studies have reported weight loss, decrease of depression, more focus, and recovery from a range of issues like insomnia, eating disorders, deep anger, etc. (You can read a report about this here.)
So what are you waiting for? Sign up for Karuna’s exclusive online class with Contemplative Journal to experience kundalini yoga for yourself.
Starts: September 5th, 2016
Where: Online class
What: Weekly videos and a workbook to guide you through your first kundalini yoga experience.
Join Karuna from Light on Kundalini as she guides you through an explorative experience of kundalini yoga and meditation. Gain greater awareness and transform limiting beliefs with this introduction to kundalini yoga. Immerse yourself into this life-changing practice and learn to use kriyas—a mixture of breath, poses, and mantras—to move energy in the body and achieve specific attitudes, mentalities, and behaviors. You will experience just a few of the thousands of kriyas taught by kundalini yoga founder, Yogi Bhajan, that can range from uplifting your spirits to confronting your deepest desires.
Read more information here.
*all acting and modeling under name Carrie Pagano or Caroline Ashley